Friday, February 20, 2009

Feb. 15 - 21
1). Have you ever been influenced by a speaker? Think of the best speaker you've ever heard. What was it about that speaker that made his or her communication memorable? Think of the worst speaker you've ever heard. What do you remember about his or her message?

I have to admit I don't think I have a favorite speaker, but I must say the majority of the speakers that I have been influenced by or who have moved me the most were passed political leaders. I believe Franklin D. Roosevelt and Sir Winston Churchill are one of many speakers who have influenced the world including myself. During World War 2 their speeches motivated millions of people to fight against Hitler's regime which in part influenced myself in how I perceive history. What makes their speeches memorable is that their speeches took place at a time where many countries, including the U.S., could've fallen under Hitler's rule. These speeches motivated citizens to fight against genocide and Hitler which is why they will always be treasured. The speaker's tone, clearness, and ethos also makes their communication memorable. The worst speaker I have ever heard would have to be someone who isn't clear, isn't' mindful of the audience, does not perform, and their nonverbal or verbal communication repels he audience's attention. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello wfredo! Can you think of an example of a bad speaker, past or present, that we might all be familiar with?

    (You might want to change the color of your font on this post. It cannot be read without highlighting it.)

    ReplyDelete