Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 8-14 (question 2)

2). Think about the filters you use to eliminate people from consideration as potential romantic partners. What characteristics or behaviours lead you to judge others as unattractive? Does Duck's theory make sense to you? Have you ever eliminated someone by using a sociological or pre-interaction cue only to reconsider them based on interaction and cognitive cues?


I do agree with Steve Duck’s theory. I guess it makes sense that there are a series of filters that help us judge how close to others we want to become. There are a lot of characteristics that lead me to eliminate people as potential partners. I must say that there are more behaviors then characteristics that help me determine who I find attractive or who I might want to date. For example: I feel that being intelligent (characteristic) and being productive (behavior) are some of the many “standards” I have. Someone who is smart and shows ambitious actions are qualities that I look for when considering someone to date. Obviously, physical attraction is extremely important also. I think I use pre-interaction cues the most when trying to interact with others. If there is someone who I and find attractive, but when approaching them I find that there non-verbal communication shows they want nothing to do with me; then I stop persisting. I also use pre-interaction cues to non-verbally let someone know “Im not interested.” I don’t recall ever eliminating someone because of their physical characteristics but then reconsidering them because I found that we had many similar beliefs and values.  

No comments:

Post a Comment